This time of year begs for a fresh approach to eating. As the country takes a communal palate cleanser from our holiday indulgence, the perfect recipe to help you greet the day is a pot of overnight oats kissed with vanilla and cherries. Sounds decadent, but provides healthful breakfast benefits to tackle that resolution list.
Recipe for Overnight Vanilla Oats with Cherries ‘below the fold.’
Overnight Vanilla Oats with Cherries
- 4 cups of vanilla-flavored soy milk**
- 4 cups of water
- 1 ¾ cups of steel-cut oats (or old fashion rolled oats)
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup of pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of allspice
- Blueberries, chopped pecans or sliced banana
1) Lightly grease slow cooker
2) Combine milk, water, oats, cherries, syrup, salt and allspice
3) Cover and cook on low for 8 hours over night (or high for 2-4 hours, depending on the heat of your slow cooker)
4) Add additional water to reach desired thickness if needed, stir and then serve with your choice of toppings
**Note: using soy or almond milk will work better in this recipe than traditional milk because they can stand up to high temperatures and prolonged cooking.